Have you ever been with a group of people and they told a story that seemed to draw everyone in. They were able to really paint a picture in your head and you hung on to their every word. Yet when it comes to your story telling, you are interrupted and people lose interest in anything your saying with even caring to hear the end of it. This can be very frustrating and quite annoying to those of you who really want to be able to tell their side of things.

We as people want to get other’s attentions and really get our story across to them, but if we don’t know how to to convery the story properly, then your stand in the spotlight will fizzle out in no time. I’m going to address some key points used to tell your story that will hit home everytime with everyone around, and it might even take to be the center of the conversation which will make anyone feel good inside.

Be Loud and be Heard

If you are a soft talker, then chances are people will not listen to you very well. People dont’ like to listen to mumblers because we cant’ understand what is being said. So if you are a soft talker, start to change the tone of your voice. Try to push out what you are saying just a little louder. You don’t want to scream and yell so everyone in a 3 block radius can hear you. You do want to talk at a level that you can easily hear from the otherside of the room without a problem.

If your ever alone, try talking to yourself outloud to get a nice comfortable volume to speak at, and keep it their always. You can adjust accordingly to the noise around you. If you are at a party with lots of people, you will need to be even louder to be heard. Likewise if the baby is sleeping, you need to talk softly then for obvious reasons.

Make Heavy Eye Contact

This is another crucial part of your story telling aspect. You must make eye contact. If someone was telling you a story and looking away from you, you probably wouldn’t feel as entitled to listen to what they are saying to you. One thing you must remember is not to stare intensely at them the whole time. You have to look away now and then to gather your thoughts. I would make eye contact about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time be looking away, not down though, be sure to look away to the side, because looking down shows insecurity.

Wave those Hands

Have you ever noticed people that really use their hands to illustrate what they are saying. They really draw a crowd in. This is a great tool to use when telling your story. The moving action of our hands keeps their attention focused on us. For some people this is a natural ability, but for others we have to push ourselves to learn this. The more we get into our own story using our body, the more everyone else gets into it as well. So practice using your hands daily when talking. to people and see if your reactions change any.

Speak Slowly

Having the right pace of speech can make all the difference when telling your story. Some people talk so fast that they are unable to get the point across because it blows right by them in an instant. Slow down your speech if you tend to talk fast. Talk so that your not fighting to get everything out in less than 2 seconds. People will miss the point if you talk a mile a minute. Take it nice and slow and that way it gives a chance for everyone’s brain to process every word you say.

Story Content

The way you word your content of your story can make it have a more powerful impact. Try to save the punchline and moral for the end of the story. Some people have a bad habit of saying what they are trying to tell you before they actually tell you. Let’s say that you want to tell a story of how your son humped some old ladies leg at the market. Don’t say, ” My son humped some old ladies leg at the market” then proceed to tell them how it happened.

Leave them in anticipation of what you are going to say next. If they already know what’s going to happen, then it’s already a dead story, unless their are more funny or interesting things happening in the story. One exception I will give to this, is if you ask an opinion related to the story. For instance you could say ” What would you do if your kid humps random things” You get their take on it, then go on to tell the story of what happened. This is actually a great way to captivate their attention right off the get, because it get’s them involved immediately. I also want to add that you should add some attention checkers in the story.

This is when you grab their attention even more to keep them interested. Use a phrase like “Check this out, guess what he did” or “And you know what he said to me” The point here is to keep them involved by getting them to respond. If you are doing all the talking, then you are leaving them out completely. You need to get them involved and using these subtleties is a great way to keep them in the story.